Back-to-Class (B2C) shopping is big business, especially for college students. According to the NRF’s Back-to-School Spending Survey, the majority of college shoppers (61%) will start their shopping a month before school and plan to spend about $900 on B2C items.
What are They Spending?
- College shoppers anticipate spending about $900 on B2C items1.
- August was the biggest spending month for college students last academic year2.
Where are They Shopping?
- The most popular destinations for college shoppers include discount stores (48%), online (39%), campus bookstores (39%)1.
- More than 60% of students visited their campus bookstore in August and September 2014 to get course materials2.
What are They Buying?
- Majority of college shoppers are planning on buying school supplies (85%), personal care items (76%), clothing & accessories (73%) and food items (72%). Additionally 51% of respondents plan on buying collegiate branded gear or supplies1.
- Students expected 2015 B2C spending matches August 2014 spending2.
- 12015 NRF Back to School/College Spending Survey conducted by Prosper Insights & Analytics
- 22014/2015 OnCampus Research Monthly Shopping Reports